Thursday, January 16, 2014

Book Review: Amelia Bedelia


Amelia Bedelia gets a job as a maid working for Mr. and Mrs. Rogers. On her first day Mrs. Rogers leaves Amelia a list of things to do while Mr. and Mrs. Rogers are away. The list says to dust the furniture and draw the drapes among other things. Unfortunately for the Rogers, Amelia takes everything quite literally. She does exactly what the list tells her, from drawing a picture of the drapes to covering the furniture in dust. Needless to say Amelia's employers are not entirely thrilled when they get back.

I read this book with my daughter as part of her first grade Literature and Comprehension class. She loved that Amelia did everything in a silly way and laughed at her crazy antics. This book is part of the I Can Read series and Sky was able to read almost the entire story on her own (except for the parts in cursive). She also learned what an idiom is.

When I was a kid my mom read the Amelia Bedelia series with me and my younger brother, we always got a kick out of how silly they were. Even though this book was first published in 1963, kids today still love the unique way Amelia Bedelia looks at the world.

To view this book on Amazon go to Amelia Bedelia (I Can Read Book Level 2)

No comments:

Post a Comment