Friday, December 27, 2013

Book Review: Because I Stubbed My Toe


Because I Stubbed My Toe is about a boy who causes a bizarre series of event by stubbing his toe.  It reminded me of when I was a kid and read If You Give a Mouse a Cookie. Although, I have to say, I like this story a lot more. The illustrations are vibrant and, might I add, hilarious. I especially liked the one where the boy is landing on the overcrowded bouncy house.



The best part about this book for me was that my 7 year old daughter could just about read it by herself. She struggled with a few words but was enjoying the story too much to get frustrated. Of course, as it is a picture book, we had to stop at every page so she could comment on the ridiculous scenarios "Why are the bees chasing the old man? Why don't they turn around and chase the boy?". Of course my favorite comment came after she saw that the kids had run screaming into the zoo, "Oh jeez... that can't be good.".  

The lively illustrations even held the attention of my one year old twins. Which in and of it self is an accomplishment. 

So it seems that whether you have toddlers or beginning readers this book will hold their attention and keep them laughing. Not to mention it provides a great opportunity to discuss cause and effect with the older children. All in all, it's a big win for anyone trying to pass the love of reading on to their kids. 

I got to read an advance copy of this book through NetGalley.com 

It is due to be released on February 1st 

No comments:

Post a Comment