Saturday, December 21, 2013

Book Review: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: New Animated Adventures Volume 1, from


Let me start by saying that I love the Ninja Turtle's, I have since I was a kid. In fact, I joined Tae-Kwon-Do because I wanted to be a Ninja Turtle, I even chose the bo-staff as my weapon because Donatello was my favorite character. Keep in mind that this was the 90's version of the cartoon, so when I first saw the new TMNT I wasn't sure that I liked it, it's a lot more anime than the one I grew up with . My daughter, on the other hand, loves the new show and through hours of watching it with her I have to admit that it has grown on me. So when the opportunity to read a new TMNT comic book through NetGalley came up I jumped on it.

The book contains four different chapters each with a self contained story, so you won't be lost if you read the fourth one first. The authors did a great job of capturing each of the characters personalities in the dialogue. The illustrations are also amazing, after each chapter there are a few stand alone drawings that would make fantastic posters. I especially liked the one with the baby turtles and the pizza box (you'll find it near the end).

I read the first two chapters with my daughter (she's 7) and she recognized Snakeweed right away. This was the first experience she's had with comic books so I had to pause a few times to explain that different speech bubbles meant different tones of voice. Even with the breaks she was still laughing and enjoying it the entire time. She even retold the episode where she first saw Snakeweed when he showed up in chapter two. After she went to bed I ended up reading the last two chapters on my own.

The last chapter, featuring the Shredder, was by far my favorite. Two words: Hallucinogenic fruit. So whether it's for the great artwork or the cool stories, this book is definitely worth reading. Booyakasha!

To view this title on Amazon go to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: New Animated Adventures, Vol. 1

No comments:

Post a Comment