Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Book Review: Swimming to the Moon/ A Collection of Rhymes Without Reason


This book is filled with funny poems that often have life lessons in them. I loved the Pants poem as I have quite a few pairs that are fairly close to the ripped up grass stained ones in the poem that I just can't let go of. The I'm Running for President one gave me a bit of a chuckle as well.
The only negative thing I have to say about it was that the meter was a bit off in a few of the poems. Nothing major but it did make me stop mid poem a few times to see if I had read it correctly.

All in all I've really enjoyed it though. I got to read the digital version for free through Story Cartel but I am planning on getting the print copy for my mom as she is a huge fan of Shel Silverstein. Young or old this book is definitely worth checking out.

The above is my review from Amazon.

I wanted to say a little bit more about one of my favorite poems from Jeff McMahon's Swimming to the Moon. Tree Climbing 101 had me laughing and reminiscing about my own tree climbing adventures. As a kid the first few times I climbed a tree getting as high as I wanted wasn't an issue it was finding a way to get down that presented a problem. I remember my dad said when I asked for help to get out of a tree for the first time, "If you can't get down you shouldn't climb up". Needless to say I had to find a way down on my own. At the time I was angry that I was left up there but having to figure it out on my own actually gave me a lot more confidence and it was a lesson I've carried with me throughout my life.

Tree Climbing 101 brought back some great childhood memories for me. Whether you are still out climbing trees or sitting on a park bench admiring them Jeff McMahon's poems bring out the child in each of us.

To check out this book on Amazon go to Swimming to the Moon / A Collection of Rhymes Without Reason

No comments:

Post a Comment